Sunday, April 12, 2015

Hey Deanie

If I recall correctly, Dave Marsh once gave Shaun Cassidy a not entirely blistering overview for one of the Rolling Stone guides, saying the singer was a notch better than the other teen idols of his era. I remember thinking at the time that Marsh, one of my favorite writers, had really missed the ball on this one, and that for his Lovin' Spoonful and Crystals covers, if nothing else, Cassidy deserved all the scorn one could heap.

Yeah, as usual, Dave knew better. This is a pretty great damn pop song. And I was trying to figure out what it was reminding me of, in a good way, when I discovered it was written by Eric Carmen, writer of the incredible "Go All the Way" (and, yes, "Hungry Eyes") and shares the same guitars.


On the other hand, the added crowd noise at the end, when he couldn't possibly be more alone in a studio, is ridiculous, as is the amount of eye shadow he's wearing. But I admit that could just be my extreme jealousy over the fabulousness of his "what would Dorothy Hamill's hair look like if she grew it out?" hair, which is fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment