Sunday, January 19, 2014

Down in the Hole


Welcome to Day 5 of our 12-day examination of the 12 songs on Bruce Springsteen's new album, High Hopes. As we indicated at the start, rather than a straight review, we're having a running dialogue based around each song as we listen to it. 

So. Day 5, Song 5: "Down in the Hole."

***
Scott Peterson
YOU READY TO ROCK THIS OR WHAT?
ROCKGOD!
Dan Tapper
ROCKGOD!!!
Let's go. "Down in the Hole."



Scott Peterson
Industrial. NIN. "Welcome to the Machine." "Silly Love Songs."
Dan Tapper
The effects at the outset are a little much. But that little banjo in the back is cool.
Scott Peterson
"Empty Sky" vocals.
Dan Tapper
Yes! Thank you—it IS indeed "Empty Sky." Patti sounds really good here.
Scott Peterson
Patti sounds GREAT. Yes.
Dan Tapper
I actually don't get the distortion to start. I get why he does it sometimes. Just not here.
Pretty melody, huh?
Scott Peterson
Yeah, that vocal effect is awesome. But I feel like it's being overused on this album. But is he going for something with it? A certain emotional separation? Distancing effect?
Dan Tapper
And here's why I get distracted every time. It's "I'm On Fire." Very strange.
Scott Peterson
I didn't heard the "Fire" bit until you pointed it out. But I can certainly hear it now.
Dan Tapper
Though the echoing background vox are pretty cool. Those are his kids, you know.
Scott Peterson
This was my maybe my fave of the first side the first time through. But I thought the lyrics were awesome but a bit perplexing, but in a good way.
Until I realized it was 9/11 and this must have been a Rising outtake. At which point, I was all: duh
Love the way his kids sound. Seriously. They sound great and it's an amazing effect. Sweet and haunting and ghostly and creepy. 
Dan Tapper
This has to be a Rising outtake, right? I mean, it sounds like it should have come somewhere after "Counting on a Miracle."
Scott Peterson
Jesus, how much better would that LP have been if they dropped "Let's Be Friends (Skin to Skin)," "The Fuse" and "Worlds Apart" and added this?
Dan Tapper
The liner notes indicate his kids were all in middle school when this was recorded.
Scott Peterson
Ayuh.
Dan Tapper
Now I am upset this wasn't on The Rising.
Scott Peterson
Would it help if he said he was sorry? It's produdced by Brendan O'Brien with the entire E Street Band on it. 
Dan Tapper
Hey, Clarence is on this, so says the liners. But I don't hear him. You?
Scott Peterson
I actually wondered at first if this was about a guy so sticken by grief that he was trying to dig his beloved up.
No, I no hear no Big Man neither.
Dan Tapper
Here's where it really sounds like "I'm on Fire." Right at the 4:15 mark.
No Morello on this track, either.
Scott Peterson
Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, Danny, edgy and dull. 
In fact, "Danny: edgy and dull" is your new tagline.
No Steve, no Nils. Just the entire Springsteen clan. 
Dan Tapper
Well. That was pretty and sparse. I think it's my least favorite track so far. Mostly because the synths and drums just sound too much like "I'm On Fire."
Scott Peterson
Well, we're...worlds apart...on that one.
(YYYYYYYEAAAAHHHH!!!)
That's one of my two faves so far.
Dan Tapper
But again, 5 tracks in I think this album is working for what it is. A ragged collection of stuff he now wants us to hear. Right on.
So far my order is "Just Like Fire Would," "American Skin," "Harry's Place," the title track, and then this...I think.
Scott Peterson
"American Skin," Harry's Place," and then this one are my three faves so far. "Just Like Fire Would" and the title track bringing up the rear.
(I forgot about American Skin." I dum as stup.)
Dan Tapper
We are going in different directions a bit, huh?
Scott Peterson
Seems so. I blame Obama. 

***
COMING TOMORROW—TRACK 6 FROM HIGH HOPES: "Heaven's Wall"

No comments:

Post a Comment