Friday, January 17, 2014

American Skin (41 Shots)


Welcome to Day 3 of our 12-day examination of the 12 songs on Bruce Springsteen's new album, High Hopes. As we indicated at the start, rather than a straight review, we're having a running dialogue based around each song as we listen to it. So listen along with us and enjoy!

So. Day 3, Song 3: "American Skin (41 Shots)."

***
Dan Tapper
So. Now we come to the one song that has made me more nervous than any. The studio version of "American Skin." Why? Because the song is already a masterpiece.
Scott Peterson
Funny. I hear what you're saying—the song's one of his finest ever and the version we already had absolutely perfect—but for some reason I still wasn't worried about it. Workshopping tunes on the road before you hit the studio used to be common practice. Even he did it.





Dan Tapper
Spacy. Reverb. Spooky.
Scott Peterson
He calls "reverb" "slap." True story.
Dan Tapper
More distortion. THAT may be a little much, no?
Scott Peterson
Again, I fret about how it'll age. But I'm a fretter.
Dan Tapper
Man, he still sings these words like they hurt, though, huh? He has never written a more provocative or misunderstood song.
Scott Peterson
Morello doing dive bombs on the guitar at the beginning.
Dan Tapper
Gorgeous backing on the "Is it a gun..." part.
Is that Nils joining him on the "41 shots" this time through?
Scott Peterson
I wonder if I'm misremembering the original release, but I feel like here he's singing the title without any hint of the bitterness that was (only) hinted at on the live album.
I didn't hear Nils. I shall pay more attention.
I think Springsteen's vocals may be better on this one than the first release.
Dan Tapper
That's Nils. He only sings on this track. No guitar.
Scott Peterson
Not sure how I feel about the echoing vocals on the "is it a gun" part?
Oh, I think I do hear Nils.
I like the echoey guitar behind the 41 shots bit. The pulsing guitar.
Dan Tapper
I like the echoes. It adds a layer of sadness. And this song has always been more sad than angry to me.
Wow. Here comes one HELL of a solo.
Scott Peterson
So, it says Tom plays lead. Is he the only lead? Because if so, this is no technique and all emotion—an upending of what people think of as his normal formula. 
Dan Tapper
Different than what Bruce used to do live. But no less chest-beating.
Scott Peterson
Not so much chest-beating as garment-rending.
Dan Tapper
What do I hear deep in the background? I think it's Aniello on harmonium or vibraphone or something. On the "it ain't no secret" part a third time through.
Scott Peterson
I don't know. I was just noticing no Garry on this. Seems an odd and unnecessary omission. 
Dan Tapper
Just checked. It's synths and vibraphone. Courtesy of Aniello.
Same power on the breakdown. On the final "American Skin," I mean. Stops cold.
Oooh! Listen to how they now lead into the final sax solo?
Scott Peterson
I wonder if Jake Clemons felt weird about this solo at all—his first on record, on a song his uncle had already played gorgeously on. Seems different than playing live, somehow. 
Dan Tapper
Jake cuts it short, but he nails it. Elegiac and ghostly.
Scott Peterson
Much like me. Yeah, I really like that extended build up.
It's interesting that he kept the "41 Shots" refrain. I'm not surprised, but it does tie it to that specific event, when since then we've seen so many other horrific events to which it was equally applicable.
So. I'm not sure about this song's placement on the album–seems kind of a weird place for it. But that cut right there's reason enough for the LP's existence all by itself.
Dan Tapper
This is not overproduced. It's got some layers, sure. But it's a song that demands its audience tune in and stay tuned in. Even in concert it has grandeur. I think it works here.
Hey! The Edge stopped by for the coda! :-)
Scott Peterson
I do do do think Brice should really form a power trio for an LP and tour. Or at most a quartet.
I know, right? So very Edgian.
Dan Tapper
Just him, Morello, Garry and Max?
Scott Peterson
No. He needs to be the only guitarist. Him, Garry, Max and maybe Roy. Roy optional. (Something which has never been said about Roy Bitten ever before ever anywhere by anyone ever.) Or he could put Steve on bass, I suppose.
Dan Tapper
I have absolutely no issue with this studio version. It's better than the studio versions of both "Land of Hopes and Dreams" and "American Land." And those were damn good.
Scott Peterson
Or really Springsteen should find a rhythm something close to the equivalent of Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl and steal them. (Not that there really is such an equivalent.) 
Yes. You're right about "American Land" for sure and probably "Land of Hope and Dreams."
I do think Nils has got to be feeling a little bit like "what the hell, man? I've been with you 30 years and in that entire time you've given me one solo? This guy gets two in the first three songs of the new album?!"

***

COMING TOMORROW—TRACK 4 FROM HIGH HOPES: "Just Like Fire Would"

No comments:

Post a Comment