Monday, September 30, 2013

Can't Find My Way Home

Imprinting's a funny thing. This was the first version of the song I ever heard. When I later acquired the Blind Faith album and heard the original, I was so disappointed. Steve Winwood's a truly great singer, obviously, better than Eric Clapton. And it's Winwood's song. And yet I much prefer this version, despite the fact that I'm generally lukewarm on mixed gender duets.

Part of it's that I find the dynamics more effective. Much of it's that I like Jamie Oldaker's drumming so much better than Ginger Baker's. Most of all, though, it's that I find Clapton's understated, slightly gruff yet warm vocals far more engaging than Winwood's passionate keening. They simply seem to fit the material better.



His acoustic guitar solo's mighty purty, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment