Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Weight

When it comes to shows I passed on, one of my great regrets is not going to see The Band when they reunited sans Robbie Robertson. At the time I'd bought into the critical consensus as Robertson being the band's Svengali. Oh foolish foolish youth.

I also passed on Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Bands which, again, in retrospect, seems so incredibly stupid. I mean, look at this line-up:

Ringo Starr
Joe Walsh
Nils Lofgren
Dr. John
Billy Preston
Rick Danko
Levon Helm
Clarence Clemons

Oh and while we're at it, let's toss in some dude named Garth Hudson now and then. Why not, right? What can it hurt?

Who in the hell in their right mind would pass up a band like that? I mean, who passes up a chance to see Levon Helm and Rick Danko together, in almost any venue or configuration? (Garth only joined them for a few shows on this tour.) An idiot, that's who.



No comments:

Post a Comment