Saturday, July 27, 2013

New Year's Resolution

Camera Obscura was barely even a name I recognized until a few months ago—I think whenever I heard/read the name I mentally transposed it to Aztec Camera and that was that. And then a pal mentioned that he often forgot just how much he loved Camera Obscura and I made a note to check them out.

And then I did. And wondered how I'd lived as long as I had without a voice this gorgeous singing a melody this perfect and lyrics this evocative.


What does this sound like? It's exactly like something I've heard hundreds of times and yet I cannot come close to placing it. It's as though they've taken all the pop from the 70s I love, mixed it in a blender and poured it over ice. Delicious and oh so smooth.

The thing is, as far as I can tell, the lyrics, as a whole, don't make any sense. And who cares? Did you hear the purity of that voice? Listen, the sooner you admit it, I will too.

1 comment:

  1. Ah! Got it. I think it's reminding me of Rita Coolidge's cover of "Higher and Higher."

    ReplyDelete