Monday, September 24, 2012

Moonlight Feels Right

Indeed it does.

I make no apologies for my unfettered love of cheesy 70s Top 40. I was a kid, so there's the sentimental element, and surely (hopefully) that's the strongest pull, but I'm also, at heart, mainly about melody, and that's something that, for better or worse, it pretty much all had in spades. And lyrics have never been my primary concern, which is very, very important when listening to 70s Top 40. What's more, a surprisingly large bit of it was surprisingly funky and, I mean, come on: melody and funk? I'm so there.

This is many things but funky is not one of them—not unless you're talking about the fashion sense.



Oh 70s. 70s 70s 70s. Just...no. No. No.

GOD. Those little laughs at the very end of each verse is so stalker who wants to get caught...but not. quite. yet.

Never mind the smooshing of the word "Chesapeake" into two syllables.

Never mind the line
I finally made a tricky french connection
You winked and gave me your ok
Never mind the line
The eastern moon looks ready for a wet kiss to make the tide rise again
You could even never mind the line
I guess you know I'm givin' you a warnin' 'cause me and moon are itchin' to play
Although the cumulative effect of all that greasy sleaze is to make the guy seem slightly less like a low-grade stalker and slightly more like an actual active serial killer at work.

But just as much so...the look. That just was not a good look, mister singer man. It's not shocking, when viewing this, that the band didn't go on to another dozen smash hits.

On the other hand, the singer's look is certainly way better than the marimba player who solos at 1:47—I think I caught something from merely watching him. I mean, what are the odds he didn't drive a van with an airbrushed painting on the side, shag carpet inside, and a sign saying "If the van's a-rockin', don't come a-knockin'!"?

Having said that, he really does rock that marimba pretty hard, I must admit. But I think I counted three keyboard players in the band, in addition to the marimba master, and I must say, that seems like maybe just the eensiest bit of overkill, considering what other bands, such as, say, The Band, were able to do with a mere two.

No comments:

Post a Comment