Monday, January 27, 2014

Hunter of Invisible Game


Welcome to Day 9 of our 12-day examination of the 12 songs on Bruce Springsteen's new album, High Hopes. As we indicated at the start, rather than a straight review, we're having a running dialogue based around each song as we listen to it. 

So. Day 9, Song 9: "Hunter of Invisible Game."


***
Scott Peterson
Okay. This next one's fascinating, in that it's Bruce Springsteen apparently deciding to poach on Ted Nugent's turf. Pissing on his territory. Making his fencepost
Dan Tapper
Hey Scott?
Scott Peterson
Yes, Daniel?
Dan Tapper
Wanna waltz?
Scott Peterson
I...do?
Dan Tapper
Then brother, you're gonna love this one.
"One..two..three...one...two...three..."




Scott Peterson
I'm not sure, but technically, I think this might be in 6/8 and not 3/4.
Dan Tapper
I hate you.
Scott Peterson
Garry's back! And all's right with the world.
But no Roy this time.
Dan Tapper
I was just about to say that.
I kinda like this. Very The Rising.
Scott Peterson
But the triumphant return of Tom. It's been so long since The Muse has graced us.
Yeah, this is so damn much better than "Your Sword."
Dan Tapper
Three whole songs they were apart! No wonder Bruce was so focused on the sword!
Scott Peterson
(Then again, Dan, everything's better than your sword.)
Dan Tapper
(Sorry, Bruce. Please don't hate us. Or hit us.)
Scott Peterson
I love the second bridge, I think.
Dan Tapper
Those high harmonies sound like stuff from The Seeger Sessions.
Scott Peterson
Hey, you know what this could really use? More overt religiosity.Oh wait!
The harmonies are him, yes? No one else is listed.
Dan Tapper
Wow, are they really? They sound so...female.
Scott Peterson
I know. But I'm pretty sure it's his falsetto.
Dan Tapper
And as it ends, we're now in the middle of the Wish You Were Here album?
Scott Peterson
What an oddly muted contribution from The Muse.
Right? I thought the same thing.
"Yes, and then...Derek, this star nonsense."
"Yes, yes."
"Now which is it?"
"I'm sure of it."
Dan Tapper
I think Tom is showing he's capable of all kindsa things.
Scott Peterson
Well, not my fave song, but a huge step up from the previous track.
Dan Tapper
Really liked that one. I know you don't go for the 3/4 time (or 6/8 time, which Mrs. Audrey Van Brocklin taught me are mathematically the same things), but that was real nice.
Scott Peterson
You know what? This album's "only" 12 songs long, but that's 5 more than The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle and 4 more than Born to Run and 2 more than Darkness on the Edge of Town. But it's also nearly an hour long. 
Born to Run was less than 40 minutes
Darkness on the Edge of Town was not quite 43.
So ditch the two or three least favorite songs and how much better does this get? Addition by subtraction, as we used to say in the draft room. 
Dan Tapper
Ayuh. He goes long on quite a few of these tracks. "American Skin" and the upcoming "Joad" remake account for close to 15 minutes themselves, I think.
Scott Peterson
That's one reason I like Working on a Dream so much, I think--it comes in, says its piece, and gets out.
Dan Tapper
But Working DID have 13 songs...OK, 12 if you don't count the (very very good) bonus.
Scott Peterson
Nix this one and "Heaven's Wall" and we're just under 50 minutes. But a better album
Dan Tapper
You mean "Sword" and "Wall," right?
Scott Peterson
But was still under 50 minutes.
(And, you're right, I did mean "Sword.")
And I don't count the rassler bonus track. That ain't real. 
Dan Tapper
Because I agree. Agree entirely.
Scott Peterson
44 minutes
Dan Tapper
Wait...is this his longest non-double album?
Scott Peterson
Oh! That's not correct.
I was looking at my iTunes version of Working, and I didn't even bother ripping the title track. :)
Dan Tapper
Dude.
Scott Peterson
Well, is The Rising a double LP or not? It's 72 damn minutes long!
Dan Tapper
That's the thing. I DON'T KNOW!!!!!
But this is his longest album besides those two, I am fairly certain. Longer than Wrecking Ball and Magic, too.
Scott Peterson
I'm not sure The Rising was ever released on vinyl. If so, it had to be a double. 
Dan Tapper
18 minutes a side? Yeah, it does.
Scott Peterson
You know, looking at The Rising as a double, those four wrong songs in the middle make a bit more sense.
You know it's his best selling album since Tunnel of Love? I did not.
Dan Tapper
True. But those four songs makes for an awful Side 3. :-)
Scott Peterson
Ha! God, ain't that the trut'.
Dan Tapper
Baby, let's be friends.


***
COMING TOMORROW—TRACK 10 FROM HIGH HOPES: "The Ghost of Tom Joad"

No comments:

Post a Comment